SCREEN-L Archives

November 1991

Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 1991 12:33:40 CST
Hey Jeremy,

> Been meaning to respond to your query for the LONGEST time, Chris.  Hope
> this isn't too late...

No problem.  I just got on net for the first time in three weeks myself.
Thanks for the Rowe citation.  I'll check it out today, I think.

> I think Roseanne is one of TV's most interesting figures, just because
> she represents so many things supposedly anathema to dominant ideology
> (working class, feminist, anti-baseball, overweight and still sexually
> active, etc. etc.) and yet she's the most popular TV comedian of the
> '90s.  It's strange and fascinating.

I agree.  We've been covering distinctions between high and low culture
in class, and the recent episode about the ceramic dog Roseanne bought
from the "Salvation Army" truck really plays on all of that in an
interesting way.

> Good luck with your course. If you'd like I could send you lecture
> materials I used when I included her in a course of my own.

If you don't mind, I'd love to see them.  I probably won't use them,
though, since it will be this week we're covering tv and Roseanne.  Still,
I'd like to read them.

Thanks again!