SCREEN-L Archives

July 1998, Week 4

From:
"Lisa R. Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 20:00:31 -0400
Tasha asked:
>For an Upper-level undergraduate course on American Television, I'm looking
>for articles and documentaries dealing with television (both about specific
>shows and other issues/approaches) in  the '60s, late '70s and '80s.  Any
>suggestions?

I would like to recommend Bonnie Dow's PRIME-TIME FEMINISM:  TELEVISION,
MEDIA CULTURE, AND THE WOMEN'S MOVEMENT SINCE 1970.  Published in 1996, and
based in part on her dissertation, Dow examines "The Mary Tyler Moore
Show," "One Day at a Time," "Designing Women," "Murphy Brown," and "Dr.
Quinn, Medicine Woman."  She offers insightful comments and analyses of the
shows, contextualizing them within the women's movement since 1970, and
brings to light many contradictions within the texts themselves.

You also might want to look at Lauren Rabinovitz' "Sitcoms and Single Moms:
Representations of Feminism on American TV."  CINEMA JOURNAL Fall 1989.
She looks at some of the same series, but also at others, and offers a
different perspective than Dow.

Good luck!

Lisa :-)

=======================================
". . .feminism is a politics with material consequences that entails hard
choices, hard work, and a commitment to collective action."
                                              --Bonnie Dow
Lisa R. Barry
Ph.D. Candidate
The Pennsylvania State University