SCREEN-L Archives

December 1998, Week 2

From:
David Blakesley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 05:22:07 -0600
Having dealt with plagiarism cases regularly and often, I'm very skeptical about
 "IntegriGuard."  I think it's a scam.

If you suspect plagiarism, here's one (very) easy way to track down the source
 on the Internet (if the paper seems to borrow ideas and phrasing wholesale).
 (I've already successfully tracked down two
in two separate cases this week, and it took me about 5 minutes total.)  If you
 go to Hotbot, http://www.hotbot.com (a search engine), you'll find a space for
 entering words to include in your
search.  Find 3 or 4 slightly unusual but identifying words in the paper, enter
 all of them in the search box, then run it.  Hotbot indexes every word on a web
 page, so it will find the occurrence of
that combination of words.  In the two cases I've researched this week, the
 source paper came up as the first "hit."

You might also read more about the issue of plagiarism by tracking some of the
 links at the following website;

http://www.faculty.ehc.edu/users/fmitchel/intplag.htm

Jeremy was rightly suspicious.

Dave
David Blakesley
Director of Writing Studies
Associate Professor of English
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale

Visit the virtual Burkeian parlor, home of Burke-L, at

http://www.siu.edu/departments/english/acadareas/rhetcomp/burke/index.html