SCREEN-L Archives

November 1997, Week 2

Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:59:35 -0500
>11/11/97 7:26 PM [log in to unmask] wrote:

>I am a student in an introductory level film course at Fitchburg State
>College in Mass.  I am researching science fiction films that are made with
>the typical Western genre characteristics.  These would include a hero with
>a strong code of ethics who stands alone and faces the problem (man against
>nature, lawlessness, greedy industrialist/ranchers) and  then resolves the
>situation by being the "fastest draw."  "Star Wars" would be an example.
>I'd love to hear from anyone with an opinion or reference.
>Kerry Thompson
>
>----
>To sign off SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
>in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

Perhaps the nature of your question is confusing me, but mightn't a genre
analysis of Sci-fi films reveal that Western Heroes and Sci-Fi heroes are
somewhat similar?  Phrased differently, was it is that makes you think
that heroes are different in different genres?  (I would start by
thinking about what constitutes an "epic" hero vs. what constitutes a
more modern type hero...)

University of Alabama.