SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 91 13:36:02 EST
A couple of week age someone sent in a query askingwhy so few people
were making documentry films these days. Several people responded
making it a particularly interesting discussion.
Someone answered the question by saying that docu. films weren't as
popular because using video to 'record' was much cheaper. My question
is this. Are video and film to be treated equally? Does it matter
what the IMAGE looks like. I think it does. Video's whole approach
to image is quite different to film. Video is a medium for close-ups
It is difficult for video to show depth or panorama. The opposite
applies to film, it excels in what video doesn't.
Video and film are not interchangable as it was suggested but rather
each contain a language and process of its own