SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 4

From:
Mark Netter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 02:28:32 -0400
I agree that the Coens have not be sufficiently examined, but do take issue
with a statement that the intricate and elegant Barton Fink, which I believe
is their best so far, is "smarter than Full Metal Jacket".  Kubrick's film is
much more dense than might appear at first, a full but succinct statement by
a master filmmaker entering his later career.  His style is fully realized,
his relevance and ability to arouse discussion is in no way diminished over
time.  It's easily as smart, cinematic, with as much to say as anything
released since.

Mark Netter