SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 1994 12:39:16 CST
Author:  "Philip C. Hartley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    12/11/94 10:37 AM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

On Dec. 7 Jajasoon Tlitteu wrote (re: My So-called Life)

"Sorry to burst your collective bubbles, but I think the show is a pile of
poo.  Granted I've seen only one episode, but it fulfilled all of my fears
& none of my hopes.  It was a total "thirtysomething" clone (same
producers) uneasily placed onto adolescence.  The episode was about a
friend of Angela's who OD'd on drugs.  Angela's "good" suburban mom saves
the day when the other "bad" working class mom is negligent.  Oh please, do
we need more of this self-congratulatory white middle-class bullshit?  Let
it fester in the low ratings cesspool."

What a relief!  I was beginning to think the ivory tower population had
gone brain dead.  It seems like whenever the mainstream viewing
population lowers a program's ratings like My So Called Life  people who
consider themselves discriminating viewers start spewing accolades. As
long as there are sponsors who dictate what airs on TV, there will never
really be anything of any substance on commercial television.  The guise of
dealing with so-called sensitive subjects is fluff and all part of that
fantastically sanctimonious and " self-congratulatory white (upper)
middle-class b.s." which drives the entire Hollywood scene but is
nauseatingly intrusive on prime time TV particularly. So thanks to Jajasoon
 Tlitteu for that succinct bit of wisdom without a lot of ...  pedantry.
Diane Hartley