SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 1

Sender:
From:
paul wiener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 11:04:17 -0500
Not too bad a suggestion, but the winners are still demoralizing and
predictable, and it gets you watching and wasting 2-4 hours when you could
be doing something more valuable. Newsday here sponsored a public contest
like yours; I don't know who won, or care.

At 11:19 AM 3/27/99 +0900, Darcy Paquet wrote:
>For years, I witnessed the Oscars with a mixture of revulsion, shock, and
>dismay, and yet I continued to watch them, like the child who keeps sticking
>his finger into the outlet.  After I started gambling on the outcome,
>however, I've found that I can not only sit through the whole telecast, but
>I actually look forward to it.  I think it really puts the event into
>perspective.
>
>Try this: print out a list of all the nominees and distribute it amongst
>your friends.  Have everyone list their predictions as to who will win,
>first and second choice.  Feel free to also include additional categories,
>such as "Will Kazan say anything in deference to his role in the Communist
>witch hunt?" or "How many dresses will Whoopi wear in the course of the
>evening?"  Establish some sort of point system for the different categories,
>have each player throw some cash into the pot, and then invite everyone over
>to your house for the telecast.  For additional laughs, play with friends
>who are naive enough the choose the best entry in each category.
>
>Try it, it works!  It's much more satisfying than trying to understand the
>awards from any kind of aesthetic viewpoint.  The money can be used to buy
>the winner some sort of useful prize, such as a Kiarostami video.
>
>Good luck, and happy viewing.
>
>--Darcy

>Darcy Paquet                    http://myhome.shinbiro.com/~darcypaq
>Inst. of Foreign Lang. Studies              [log in to unmask]
>Korea University, Seoul  KOREA
>
>----
>To sign off Screen-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF Screen-L
>in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

Paul B. Wiener
Special Services Librarian
SUNY at Stony Brook
516/632-7253