SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:00:10 -0500
Maybe we should hold our own version? People can submit their favourite
films and actors in the various categories and the most popular are
submitted to the group for voting. The results are then collated and posted
around Academy Awards time.

Just an idea - it would be interesting to compare!

     a lovely idea . . . is it practicable? . . . if there's a way of
     negotiating it i think we oughta go for it,  if only to see how
     it comes out . . . though,  coming from a bunch of ostensible
     "experts,"  it might earn some public recognition, our
     culture being so obsessed with ratings and lists . .

     but i wonder about one thing:    should it be our "favorite
     films and actors" or the ones we admire/respect/value
     most highly . . . i would hardly want to call  BOYS DON'T
     CRY  my "favorite" film of the year but it seems to me
     a remarkable achievement . . .  while OTOH, i often have
     "favorite" films, books, music that i recognize as not
     especially distinguished but which speak to me for very
     personal reasons . . . i think we're in a position to make
     informed as opposed to purely intuitive judgments, and
     if the logistics of this can be worked out that's the
     path i'd like to see us take . . . but just how do we manage
     the logistics? . . . any thoughts from screen-L'ers or the
     list moderator

     mike frank