SCREEN-L Archives

January 2000, Week 5

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 23:58:32 -0800
8bit
From:
Joe Bisz <[log in to unmask]>
**CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS**

to the QUICK
the journal magazine of media and cultural studies at Binghamton
University

Who says “academic” writing can’t be exciting?

CONTENT.
To the QUICK is seeking essays, articles, and columns that perform
thematic, theoretical, and cultural analyses of media arts like TV
shows, films, music, or cultural movements or issues such as the recent
rise of witchcraft, artificial intelligence, representations of racism,
etc. These media forms have in the past been dismissed as unimportant
cultural markers when measured against the mass of “literary” studies.
To the QUICK continues the work of media literacy and cultural studies
programs by drawing attention to the meaning existent in all discussions
and arts. We also take the notion of “interdisciplinary” to heart,
believing that each discipline is another way of reading the world and
yet is part of a very similar critical attitude. To the QUICK therefore
takes the stance that each discipline can--by writing in a carefully
contextualized fashion--say informative and fascinating things even to
readers outside of that field.

STYLE.
If not already implicit, you should make clear how your analysis is
culturally relevant, what issues your reading is bringing up. The less
the subject is popular or well-known, the greater the need to point out
this cultural relevancy rather than relying on the weight of a
theoretical framework.

It is not necessary that essays implement critical theory. However,
theory is a way of reading the world and can be useful and exciting.
Essays should still avoid one of the pitfalls of  academic writing: the
dropping of esoteric terms or phrases without context. Careful emphasis
should be placed on the relevancy of allusions and terminology; the
reader should not have to wallow through a dense litter of meaningless
prose.

Three quick tips:
?Describe your subject with enough context so that the reader does not
have to have read/seen/experienced the subject in order to understand
and appreciate your argument.
?If your essay was written for a class or published elsewhere, revise it
with a TTQ “slant,” explaining special terms or theories enough to make
an “outsider” interested. This is the whole point of to the QUICK.
?TTQ does not publish film or music reviews.

SUBMIT.
Essays and articles: 4500 words maximum
Columns: 250 - 1750 words
Book reviews: 500 - 1000 words

DEADLINE: Monday, March 6th 2000 (postmarked by)

Indicate a word count for all text, including endnotes. Style should be
according to the latest edition of The Chicago Manual of Style. We are
also interested in reprinting pieces published elsewhere. TTQ also needs
pieces for our three columns: The Obligatory Old Book Review takes an
“old” book, author, or theorist and presents an original argument as to
how and why the author’s ideas still apply to or are reflected in
today’s society; The Rewrite Department uses experimental non-fiction to
comment on contemporary cultural issues; and Slipstream picks out an
event of cultural significance from the contributor’s life, describing
and analyzing it in a memoir-like, creative style. For examples of
these, peruse our journal magazine on-line at
www.agoron.com/~matthewk/quick.

Our current Fall 1999 issue may be purchased by mailing  a check
(payable to “Joe Bisz,” the Managing Editor) for $5.00 each plus
shipping ($1.18 up to three copies, $1.58 four to six) to our address
below. This issue features essays on Xena: Warrior Princess, Comedy
Central’s ‘Cow and Chicken’, IKEA furniture company, and the lyrics of
Tupac Shakur, among others.

Feel free to query with essay, column, or artwork ideas. Queries
recommended for book reviews. We occasionally publish “feature” articles
that are a little longer; let us know if your piece has been truncated.
Electronic submissions are preferred in RTF, Word, or WordPerfect format
<[log in to unmask]> but you may also mail manuscripts or
correspondence to:

to the QUICK
English Department
PO Box 6000
Binghamton University
Binghamton, New York 13902

Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for our reply, and enough
postage if you would like your material returned. to the QUICK takes
First North American print and electronic rights for all essays,
articles, and columns published.