SCREEN-L Archives

January 1997, Week 3

Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 23:37:58 EST
Back to Basics, for a moment . . . .

This summer, I'm hoping to teach a "Communications Technology" seminar for
Master's students.  The approach will be primarily social and historical.
However, I'd like to include some readings which substantially but clearly
explain, in reasonable detail, the general technological ins and outs of
the following:

still photography
moving image recording and projection
1/2" video recording and playback; audiotape
television
computers
digital technologies (cds and CD-Rom: the Internet; HDTV)
cable systems
satellite systems
the telephone (!)
the FAX and copy machines
cellular technologies

Can anyone suggest any good articles/books that they've used for similar
purposes?

Because it's a summer course I need to track down material that is BRIEF.
Yet, I don't want to insult their intelligence:  I'll need pieces that are
illuminating and SURPRISING even to (quite) technologically literate students.

Thanks in advance,

Rich Cante