SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 15:42:47 EDT
Gene Stavis asked for a cite on my claim about Southern film-going being
proportionately greater than elsewhere.

Sorry, I can't offer chapter-and-verse.  Southern movie-going is an
idea that I've accepted for many, many years.

Even if the numbers are wrong, the South was a substantial market for
movies.  As such, film studios would have pandered to their prejudices
in the absence of any counter-influences.  There were no great demands
for films that treated African-Americans honestly.

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]>  <[log in to unmask]>