SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 11:14:54 -0500
Matt Ramsey requests:

>         I'm working on a 1930s Hollywood adaptation of a Faulkner short
> story, and talking in part about possible inadequacies in adaptation theory.
> So I'd like to see if I've missed anything in the field.  What do members
> think are the best writings on adaptation out there?  I'm mostly using
> Naremore's _Film Adaptation_ and Cartmell and Whelehan's _Adaptations From
> Text to Screen, Screen to Text_.  What else have people found good?  I'm
> more interested in general theorizing about adaptation, but I'd also like to
> hear about individual readings that are particularly good.  Thanks.

You might want to look at Seymour Chatman's work, especially COMING TO
TERMS, especially his chapter on THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN, if you
haven't already.

Also see Brian McFarlane, NOVEL TO FILM: AN INTRODUCTION TO THE THEORY
OF ADAPTAION (Oxford 1996).

Don Larsson
Donald F. Larsson
English Department, AH 230