SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 4

From:
Peter Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:28:42 -0400
Dag:  I appreciate your comments on REGENERATION. I believe it is one of a
number of movies which are internationally produced/financed these days,
and as such certainly had British participation as well as Canadian. The
film was nominated in several categories in the Genies, the Canadian
equivalent of the Oscars, so that's why I termed it Canadian. No doubt it's
a baby with several parents!

----------
> From: Dag Soedtholt <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Poetry in films
> Date: Tuesday, April 20, 1999 5:07 AM
>
> > There's a recent (1998) Canadian movie called REGENERATION, which deals
> > with First World War soldiers suffering from shell shock. It features
the
> > poetry of Siegfried Sassoon, Wilfrid Owen and, I believe, Rupert
Brooke.
> > Sassoon survived the trench warfare - Owen and Brooke did not. You
should
> > also take a look at the Recent Italian movie, IL POSTINO.  POETIC
JUSTICE
> > (John Singleton 1993) features the poetry of Maya Angelou,who appears
in
> > the film.
>
> Just a small correction. Regeneration is British, not Canadian. It is
made
> by the Scottish director Gilles Mackinnon.I cannot recall Rupert Brooke
> though, if he was featured, his part was very small. The film is
excellent
> though.
>
> Regards
> Dag Soedholt
>
> ----
> To sign off Screen-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF
Screen-L