SCREEN-L Archives

March 1993

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1993 09:39:33 -0400
CRYING GAME

Thanks for the reference within the film to Dil as black.  Perhaps I was
xxxx She is certainly lighter than Jody but also darker than Fergus/Jimmy.
Does she have an accent that could place her in England?

Re. the secret:

        This Monday, there was an article in the local newspaper discussion
Jaye Davidson's nomination and the role he played in the film.  It was by-lined
from the LA Times, so there seems little of the secret left "out there".  (The
article speculated on what he would or would not wear to the Awards, if he
came.)

        Channel surfing last night I noticed two things.  Right at the closing
credits for "A Current Affair" there were stills from the film showing Dil
suggesting that this role/Davidson had been a topic--I couldn't find the
program repeated any where to check.  Then, on BET (the Black Entertainment
Television network) there was a movie program which, when it listed this
weeks top 10 box office films, mentioning something about eg--eg Bill Murray in
   "Groundhog's Day", whatwas said about "Crying Game" was to the effect of
Go see Jaye Davidson staring in the CG.  Only he was mentioned.

There does seem to be something not right, and unfair, in the way his
nomination has been treated.

Jesse Kalin, Vassar