SCREEN-L Archives

February 2021, Week 1

From:
Paul Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2021 09:11:47 -0600
Call for Presentations:
*A Celebration of Superheroes*

DePaul Pop Culture Conference

DePaul University – Virtual Conference

May 01, 2021

The Pop Culture Conference has gone virtual!

After postponing for a year, we are now re-accepting submissions for the
eighth Pop Culture Conference, hosted by DePaul University! This year’s
“Celebration of Superheroes” will take place *synchronously *for Keynotes,
Workshops, and Roundtables on *May 01, 2021* and asynchronously for panels
throughout the following week. More details can be found at
popcultureconference.com.

This event will feature roundtable discussions from scholars and fans of
Superheroes and comics*. *Our keynote speaker is *Sarah Kuhn*, author of
the popular *Heroine Complex* novels—a series starring Asian American
superheroines, as well as *I Love You So Mochi* and a graphic novel about
Batgirl Cassandra Cain for DC Comics. Our academic speaker is *Dr.
Frederick Aldama*, Arts and Humanities Distinguished Professor at The Ohio
State University and expert in Latino literature, film, television, comics,
and superheroes.

Participants may propose papers about a broad array of ideas related to
Superheroes and their cultural impact. All papers should be pre-recorded in
whatever format the researcher wishes – videos, narrated powerpoints,
podcasts, PDF posters, etc. The audience for this event is both graduate
and undergraduate students, both fans and scholars. You may propose
multiple papers and panels.

Some possible topics include: The ubiquity of Superheroes; Power and
Responsibility with Superheroes; the morality of Superheroes;
race/ethnicity and Superheroes; Gender and Superheroes; Religion and
Superheroes, teaching with Superheroes, the financial success of the MCU or
DC Universes, etc.

Please *submit an abstract* of your talk by *Monday, March 01 to
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*. Final
videos will be due *Friday, April 16*. If you are interested in
contributing to our published charity volume, papers of 2-5,000 words are
due by *Friday, April 02.*

For more information, please check out popcultureconference.com, and sign
up for updates on Facebook (search “A Celebration of Heroes”). We hope that
you will be able to join in the discussion and celebration!

--
Paul Booth, PhD
Pronouns: he, him, his

*Email Disclaimer: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and are intended solely for use by the addressee. Any
unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and any
attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender and delete the message. Any views or
opinions presented in this e-mail may solely be the views of the author and
cannot be relied upon as being those of DePaul University.