SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Michael Kackman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:28:35 -0500

>Date:    Wed, 2 Aug 2000 14:26:10 +0300
>From:    Nezih Erdogan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: USIS/USIA
>
>Dear All
>I and a colleague of mine are conducting research on the reception of
>Hollywood by the Turkish audience during the Cold War years. As part of
>the project we are researching how the exhibition of American films were
>controlled (or censored) by the Ankara branch of USIS (United States
>Information Services). We contacted them but we are told that they had
>no record of the said period. We urgently need help about this. Do they
>keep copies elsewhere, eg in the US? Are there any sources which contain
>information about this or any relevant subject?
>Any suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

In the past few years, the USIA has declassified many of its internal records from the Cold War.  These are largely held at the National Archives in Washington, DC (At Archives II, in the Maryland suburbs, to be more accurate).  For more information, see their website at www.nara.gov.  Within the collection, references to individual commercial films or programs can be tough to find - - more common are reports about USIA-produced media, and/or studies of commercial news media.  The material in there, though, is fascinating (and more than occasionally creepy).  In case you have difficulty tracking it down, the USIA collection is record group #306, if I recall correctly.

Good luck.

Michael

Michael Kackman, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication/American Studies Program
DePaul University

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite