SCREEN-L Archives

September 1993

Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1993 13:12:53 EDT
On Wed, 22 Sep 1993 09:46:31 EDT Jamie Saunders said:
>                 Anyone know what the prospects are like in Wilmington, NC?  I
>have heard that Wilm. is 3rd behind L.A. and NYC in TV/motion picture productio
>n.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Every place that is not Hollywood or New York City claims to be third behind
them: Dallas, Southern Florida, Chicago, and many others "too numerous to
mention" as the cliche has it.  Anyone wanting to know what's going on in
the mainstream should read weekly Variety, every week.  It's too expensive
for ordinary human beings (ca. $150 yearly) but many larger libraries have
subscriptions.

About Wilmington, North Carolina:  It started when when Dino DeLaurentis
looked for a very cheap place to make films.  (North Carolina is a right
to work state where exploitation of cheap labor is legal.)  A studio was
constructed but the DeLaurentis enterprise ran into the usual kinds of
financial troubles.  Others have tried to use the studio.  Others have
tried to produce films 'round and about the state.  Personally, I wouldn't
plan to make a career in filmmaking in North Carolina unless I had a steady
day job or spouse who had one.

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]>  <PRYLUCK@TEMPLEVM>