SCREEN-L Archives

April 1996, Week 4

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 10:42:43 CST
Forwarded by Jeremy Butler.

Subject: Re: My mom needs an ID on this film
Author:  [log in to unmask] (Victor G Catano) at SMTP-LINK
Date:    4/22/96 9:13 AM

In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Susan E. Webster <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My mom is getting up there in age (70) and she gives me these
>glimpses of films for which she wants the names and actors, but
>there is not much to go on.  Here goes:  It's a film made in
>the 30's or 40's she believes, where two people meet on a
>cruise liner and start a love affair.  The man from the love
>affair is a convicted criminal on his way to death row.  The
>woman has a terminal illness and will die within the next year.
>After their brief affair, the promise to meet on New Year's Eve
>of the next year.  Well, they both die within that year, but
>at the end of the movie two champagne glasses clink on New Year's
>Eve where these two were supposed to be sitting.   The plot
>(or what my mom rembered of it) rings a very distant bell for
>me, hopefully if you've seen the movie or recognize the plot
>it'll send off a gong.

 Thats sounds an awful lot like the plot to "Love Affair," which was
subsequently remade as An Affair to Remember (Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr),
and Love Affair, 1994 (Warren Beatty, Annette Benning). IN both of these
the two lovers meet on an ocean cruise and fall in love, but they are
engaged/married to other people. They make a vow to meet in a year's time
at the Empire State Building. No one dies in these versions, but one
misses the meeting for various reasons (Deborah Kerr gets run over by a
car.) and the other one  assumes she doesn't love her. And there the fun
begins!  There follows an hour of sudsy plot developments, leading to
their inevitable reconciliation.

 Now, I haven't seen Love Affair, the first one, so I don't know if this
is in fact the movie you are referring to. But it does seem very similar
in plot and content.

 Victor Catano
 SUNY at Buffalo