SCREEN-L Archives

August 1998, Week 1

From:
Karen Bennecke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 02:10:16 +0200
I am currently writing my thesis on gender differences in the dance musical
of the classical Hollywood period. I would need to know whether there are
any dance numbers in any of the Shirley Temple films in which she dances
alone (i.e. without Bill Robinson or other partners) and  spontaneously,
just to express her emotions of the moment - i.e., a dance in an informal
setting that is not intended as a performance (even if there should be
people around who may be casually watching). So far it has been impossible
for me to find any of Shirley Temple's movies in Berlin, so it would be a
great help if somebody could tell me whether dance numbers of that kind
exist at all in her films and if so, in which.

Karen Bennecke