SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

Sender:
From:
Matt McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 1994 09:50:40 EDT
Did anyone see Harvey Pekar's appearance on David Letterman
Monday night?  His showings always makes for interesting
television.

Pekar, as many of you know, is a leftist, working class comic book
writer in Cleveland.  When he's on Letterman, he rejects (consciously,
I think) many talk show conventions, including not walking
out on stage until being introduced, not being polite to the
host (including interrupting him), discussing pay and annual
salary, addressing the audience directly (and sometimes with
disdain).

I'm a big fan of Pekar, but I wouldn't exactly call his visits
to Letterman entertaining (although they are always interesting);
usually they are uncomfortable.

One question I have is, Why does Letterman keep asking Pekar
back?  Especially with what happened during a visit at NBC
a few years ago (Pekar yanked a pencil out of Letterman's
hand after Letterman refused to let Pekar talk about GE's
corporate sleasiness), I though Pekar would never be
invited back.

Yet there he was.

Matt McAllister
Virginia Tech