SCREEN-L Archives

December 1995, Week 4

From:
Gloria Monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 1995 11:23:53 -0500
        I want to share with Screen-L the news of Butterfly McQueen's
death.  She was the victim of a fire accident in her home in Augusta,
GA on Friday and died from burns in the Augusta Regional Medical Center.
She was 84.
        My recent work has centered on Ms. McQueen's film career and her
immense talent always went underappreciated: the Hollywood system condemned her
to play the single role of a servant, with very few exceptions (*Cabin
in the Sky,* for instance).  As an example of how little things have
changed, yesterday's *New York Post* published a very short
obituary with a headline that identified Ms. McQueen not as an actor but as
"Scarlett's maid."

        Gloria Monti