SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
edwin jahiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 11:59:08 CST
>I'd like to clear up a little potential confusion among list members.  One
>of our fellow members, Larry Jarvik,  has included in his sig an affiliation
>with the Center for the Study of Popular Culture.   There are two
>organizations having this name.   One is the long established and esteemed
>Center for the Study of Popular Culture, located at Bowling Green
>University, and begun by Ray Browne, the founder of the Popular Culture
>Association.  I think most of us realize how much we owe academically to
>this organization and Ray's early efforts to legitimize the academic study
>of popular culture.  The second organization is a conservative think tank
>located in L.A., which seems to have as its main focus the destruction of
>the NEA, NEH and CPB.  (Of the 150 hits I got from a Lexis search, only a
>handful did not concern this issue)   Mr. Jarvik is head of the Washington
>office of this organization, and testified at the recent House hearings
>against CPB, on a panel with representatives of Accuracy in Media, the CATO
>Institute, CAMERA, Family Research Council, Jones Education Networks, and
>the NRA.  Mr. Jarvik has been described as "one of the most prominent and
>most durable critics of public television"  (NYT, 1/25/95)
>
>Needless to say, the folks at Bowling Green are not real happy with this
>group's choice of name.  Maybe in the interests of fairness and truth in
>advertising, the L.A. group could change theirs?  ;)
>
>Incidentally, I e-mailed Mr. Jarvik yesterday with a request for a
>description of his organization, and have not heard back.  Perhaps he'd like
>to fill us in.
>
>And I have been quite delighted with the support given to CPB and PBS in
>response to his comments.
>
>Marlyn Robinson
>University of Texas School of Law
Thank you Marlyn Robinson!!!  There was an article in the New York Times--
between last Tue Jan 31 and Thursday Febr.2 -- about a now happy
Gingrichite, a multi-millionaire who created & bankrolled Mr. Jarvik's
organization. I wanted to post this but the newspaper was borrowed by a
friend until Monday. I will post it then unless someone beats me to the
draw.

Edwin Jahiel, Cinema Studies, University of Illinois

" Le mauvais gout mene au crime" (Stendhal)