SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Chris Golya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 1994 11:04:00 GMT
This is not another it is colour adjustment message.......
But I thought I would let you know about an English programme which explored the
 use of blackface.
The programme was in the "South Bank show" series a weekly arts review produced
 by Central Television, Produced and edited by Melvin Bragg.
I donUt know if you would be able to get hold of it
It featured an English black comedian called Lenny Henry and an American
 comedian whose name I cannot recall, who were in blackface discussing what it
 meant to them, the show was filmed in the states (New York I think) and
 featured
performers who had performed with Josephine Baker  discussing  blackface and
 performing for a white audience.
Lenny Henry gave an  English perspective on what, we considered was essentially
an American stage performance Even though English television right to the mid
 70'shad a vaudeville  musical show called the Rgood old daysS which featured
 white performers in blackface, he felt it was more about being TAmericanU than
 being black.....
Hope you find this useful, and not just frustrating bacause you want to find out
 more about the programme and canUt

I think that some of my "s and 's have gone astray hope that you can still read
 this.
Chris Golya
School of Art Design and Media
University of Portsmouth