SCREEN-L Archives

February 2005, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Avi Santo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 03:05:00 +0000
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that the latest issue of Flow: A critical forum
on
television and media culture came out on Friday, January 21. This issue
features columns by Michael Curtin, Cynthia Fuchs, Anna McCarthy, and Robert
Schrag, along with a guest column by James Hay.

We have also published a one-shot piece by Lisa Parks.

We have also published our interview with Sara Leeder, segment producer for
CNBC's 'Topic [A] with Tina Brown'.  Thanks to all of you who contributed
questions.

Please feel free to visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these
columns and contribute responses to them.

Michael Curtin builds off of Tom Streeter's previous column for Flow by
polemicizing for more substantive news reporting and suggesting that to get
there, more radical changes than simple reform of current media outlets may
be
necessary.

Cynthia Fuchs writes about television and terrorism, and more specifically
24's
depiction of terrorism, and the terrorists diegetic relationship to
television.

James Hay discusses "make over" and "renovation" television such as Pimp My
Ride
as working with discourses of mobility and self-creation in ways that fit
neatly with conservative discourses about reinvention of the self in service
of
self-governance, self-sufficiency, and individualism.

Anna McCarthy writes an open letter to the Food Network, discussing her
likes
and dislikes of particular programs, as well the overall network, and ends
with
her own recipe

Lisa Parks revisits the 2004 election campaign coverage and notes the
absence of
any discussion of media reform by the candidates.

Robert Schrag examines how we might use digital technology to create a more
comprehensive picture of our individual and collective pasts; how we record
personal history, and how the digital revolution is changing it.

Please feel free to visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these
columns and contribute responses to them.

Best,

Avi Santo & Christopher Lucas
Coordinating Editors
Flow