SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Alison McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 16:51:00 PST
Of particular interest to me was CBS's casting of Oksana Bayul as a kind of
Dickensian waif figure in the biographical segment which preceded her
entry in the skating competition during its first night (the segment was
repeated at least once that I know of in subsequent coverage) -- was this
coverage of an Olympic event or classic melodrama or a a morality tale?!

As Kelley Conway noted, the segment referred to her as the
daughter of everyone and no one:  Bayul does not remember when
she first began to skate because, we are told (this is a fairly close
paraphrase), "there is no one left to remember for her."
Her mother's death from ovarian cancer three years ago, her position
as surrogate daughter in her coach's household, the key she still possesses
to the house she lived in with her mother, and the foregrounding of her
religious faith (enabled by the waning of Communism) were all invoked by
CBS in the construction of a melodramatic narrative framework. And when
circumstances conspired with CBS the next day as Bayul collided with another
competitor during practice and injured her back and leg, thus calling into
question her ability to compete that night, CBS's coverage adhered to
melodramatic patterns of narrativization once more.  Young, talented,
orphaned (Bayul's father, we are told, "disappeared" when she was a toddler
and is "presumed" dead), and conveniently beautiful, Bayul rises from the
ashes of Communism and personal tragedy to prevail at the Olypics -- Griffith
could have done it way better than CBS, however.

(None of this is to detract from Bayul's obvious talent and real achievement,
by the way.  It is merely to observe how powerful certain kinds of even
mediocre executions of narrative traditions can be.  After Bayul more or less
collapsed in tears next to her coach following the second night of skating,
I found myself shouting at the television with some concern, "Someone needs
to take care of that girl!" and then, seconds later, turning to a friend and
observing in a somewhat acid (and no doubt embarrassed) tone, "Or give her
a Valium."  Whether or not I wanted to, I clearly bought into the narrative
that CBS spun, even as I tried to resist it as well.)