SCREEN-L Archives

May 1992

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1992 19:06:01 EDT
"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", the Philip K Dick short
story (later lengthened into novel), hardly classifies as "cyberpunk,"
but I suppose that depends on where you place the birth of the movement.

And while the movie was a fine example of noir-gone-haywire, it
not-too-neatly sidesteps the basic theme of the story (as I see
it, of course), that of redemption/martyrdom through the vicarious
enjoyment of others' actions.

And really, is the idea of people getting *off* while following
a Christ image's travails up a mountainside much different than
what is going on these days w/Rodney King co-travellers?

IMHO

Donosaur
Bitnet: STWD@NMUMUS
"The Music is Nothing if the Audience is Deaf"