SCREEN-L Archives

October 1998, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:55:23 -0500
Requested:

> From: Frann Michel <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Film, Gender, corporate culture
>
> I'm researching a project on representations of gender and corporate
> culture in US films of the 1980s & 90s, both studio and independent
> features.  (Some examples are _In the Company of Men_, _Disclosure_, _The
> Temp_, _Baby Boom_.)  I'm looking for suggestions both of relevant films
> and of critical works on the topic, particularly from a Marxist-feminist
> perspective.  I've checked the Internet Movie Database and our library's
> catalog, but our reference librarian suggested to me that the best source
> of information would probably be the participants in lists like H-Film
> and Screen-L.  Thanks!

Mike Nichols' WORKING GIRL is one obvious example.  The ALIEN films in
their own way are as well.  KRAMER VS. KRAMER comes a bit early (1979)
but is interesting as a mark of changing times, as are episodes of
THIRTY-SOMETHING, even if it is a TV series and not a film as such.
REALITY BITES offers a sidelong view, especially in Garafolo's
character.

It might be interesting to put these and similar examples in contrast
to the wave of "executive suite" movies that hit the screen in the
1950s.  While those include such satirical films as THE APARTMENT, they
are dominated by melodramas like EXECUTIVE SUITE, THE MAN IN THE GRAY
FLANNEL SUIT, and the interestingly-named WOMAN'S WORLD (1954).

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato