SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 5

From:
Paul Ryersbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 13:43:29 -0400
> I don't think laws are necessarily indicative of public interest, though.  In
> the U.S., it seems as if the laws on sexual freedom & portrayals are lessening
> but the public is increasing its self-censorship.  In U.S. television, for
> instance, you're technically allowed to show a lot more sex & nudity in
> primetime than most shows actually do (with the notable exception of NYPD
 BLUE)
> because that's what they think the public wants for that medium.  It's also
> perfectly legal for women to walk around topless in New York City (thanks to a
> gender-equity ruling a couple of years ago) but you still don't see anyone
> doing that, even at the beach.  And kids are *asking* for dress codes at
> school.  It seems like a de-escalation of open sexuality and expressiveness
> (exactly the opposite of what's happening with violence).
>
> Molly Olsen
> (and Norwegian by descent)

I get the feeling that women not taking advantage of the topless law is less
a matter of self censorship than it is a lack of interest in dealing with
the situation of revealing one's breasts in a place like New York City. I
think that people who have been raised to equate nakedness with sex and
vulnerability can not be expected to feel comfortable with public nudity
just because a law nominally allowing it has been passed

        paul ryersbach