SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Scott Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 13:37:18 +0001
It seems that this twins thread could go on indefinitely as the idea of
the double seems to have been a popular narrative device. A recent film
which played interestingly with this concept was Suture(USA 1993) which
was directed by Scott McGehee and David Siegel. It involved a pair of
half-brothers who are said to have an almost exact physical resemblance.
One tries to kill the other after planting his I.D on him in an attempt
to escape from his own problems. The other brother survives the accident
but awakes with amnesia and is assumed to be the other. What is most
interesting about the film is that the two actors do not look alike, they
are of different races. In this sense the film seems to challenge us as
spectators in our willingness to suspend disbelief and overlook physical
differences.
        In a similar but less challenging vein is Susan Seidelman's
Desperately Seeking Susan which is also about the nature of identity.

                                                Scott Henderson