SCREEN-L Archives

July 1992

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1992 10:38:11 PDT
I'm a bit perplexed about the ethical boundaries of circulating rumors
about anyone's sexual preference in Screen-l. It may be that my
sensibilities are insufficiently developed to appreciate the social or
aesthetic value of "outing," but it would seem reasonable to allow
people...even people who work in film... to lead their private lives
however they wish, unless there is an overriding reason to do otherwise.
We can disagree on what would be an "overriding reason", but surely,
rumor-mongering would hardly qualify.

-Henry Breitrose
 Communication
 Stanford