SCREEN-L Archives

May 1999, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Peter Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 16:48:52 -0400
Annette:My reference indicates FRAULEIN was released in 1958, and should be
available on video. Suggest you try one of the on-line movie listings. One
of the best fraulein/collaboration movies is A FOREIGN AFFAIR (Billy Wilder
1948), where Jean Arthur is a US congresswoman sent to Berlin to
investigate immediate  WW2 postwar conditions there.  This is a typical
sardonic Billy Wilder comedy, but says a great deal about fraternization.
Another interesting movie is SAYONARA (Joshua Logan 1957), which deals with
relationships between  US airmen stationed in Japan after World War Two and
Japanese women. A number of war films deal with fraternization between
occupying troops and conquered civilians (usually female), but often as sub
plots to the main action. You may want to take a look at JUDGMENT AT
NUREMBERG
(Stanley Kramer 1961) re the Tracy/Dietrich relationship.