SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 4

From:
"Marla Russell." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 11:18:05 -0400
I think Michael has some very valid points and would like to share a theory
that I have for your consideration.
I think that one of the reasons kids are so interested in seeing this effects
created world has to do with how removed from "real" life we have all become.
 Please let me expound a little.  Yes, we do know that cows are killed to
give us our T-bone steak, but how many of us are part of that experience.  We
go to the grocery store where the stench of death is wiped away and purchase
our selephane wrap package without a single thought of the process.  50 years
ago we raised that cow, named it and shed a little tear while chewing that
first bite of rump roast.  We experienced death, our loved ones died in their
beds with us sitting beside them, not in a sterile hospital room with doctors
shooing us away when things went down hill.  We knew what the reality was.
 There is nothing spectacular about dying, one moment your heart is beating
and then...
Even the local news has joined in the whole escalation process.  "If it
bleeds it leads" is not just a catch phrase, it's the reality of my local
news.  It dosn't matter that it happened in Virginia three days ago and has
nothing to do with Oklahoma, by God we have great gory video and we're going
to use it.  They had a field day during the bombing here, the more bloody
faces and weeping Mothers the better.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that we (especially in America) are so
protected from so many of the harsh realities of life that we are looking to
experience them some other way.  And the Film industry has given us something
better than the real thing.
But, it's just a theory

marla russell
AVID editor