SCREEN-L  October 2008, Week 2

SCREEN-L October 2008, Week 2

Re: The Prisoner

Darrell Newton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:05:46 -0400

Hey Jeanette,

It's my understanding that ITC entered into a reciprocity agreement with CBS years before with the American showing of the Prisoner precursor, Secret Agent. Sponsorship wasn't nearly as essential as the range of advertisers CBS had. These were everything from Kent cigarettes to Ford Motor Company.

Derek Kompare is the authority. Derek are you out there?

Darrell M. Newton, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
The Department of Communication Arts
Salisbury University
269 Fulton Hall
Salisbury, MD 21801
(410) 677-5060 Office
(410) 543-6229 Department

http://faculty.salisbury.edu/~dmnewton/

>>> Jeannette Slonowski <[log in to unmask]> 10/08/08 9:54 AM >>>
Hello all,

An interesting question arose at an MA defence yesterday and I wonder
if anyone here might know the answer?  Who was the sponsor for The
Prisoner when it played on American  or British TV?  This discussion
arose around the critiques of advertising and "modern" culture that
the program clearly does. Did watching the commercials create
discomfort for viewers given the show's themes?

In the end the defence committee was intrigued by how McGoohan lived
with the advertising that CBS  must have inserted into the program.

thanks
Jeannette

http://www.ScreenSite.org