SCREEN-L Archives

October 1992

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1992 15:20:54 EDT
I dashed off a reply to Bjorn's comment before I got to Henry's.  Henry's
list of films is among those where the filmmaker's thought they knew how
the story should come out.  SEVENTEEN, part of the Middletown series, is
particularly outrageous since even a casual viewer can recognize that the
primary young woman and her mother were both playing to the director-cameraman
(Jeff Kreines) behind the camera.

Similar playing to the camera, without acknowledgment can be seen in some of
Ricky Leacock's earlier direct cinema films.  By contrast, one of the leading
players in GRAY GARDENS flirted outrageously with David and Al Maysles.  This
"act" was included as part of the unfolding experience rather than being cut
out as is commonly the case.

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]>  <PRYLUCK@TEMPLEVM>