SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Seth Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:14:53 -0800
What you've posted doesn't seem to me to be enough to determine the
paper is plagiarized.  I did numerous searches for various permutations
of "Mulvey Straw Dogs Visual Pleasure Peckinpah imbalance continuity."
Nowhere did I find even a correlation of Mulvey with Straw Dogs.
Doesn't prove anything, but --

The introduction you post strikes me as a pretty standard, perfectly
competent framing paragraph, using rather common methodological tropes
for the comparative analysis ("continuity and discontinuity").  Doesn't
seem to be all that amazing as far as it goes.

Plus it strikes me that in a course that covers either Mulvey or Straw
Dogs, or both, Straw Dogs' treatment of its rape scene (commented on
widely at the time of the movie's release) makes it a highly potent (and
thus perfectly natural) subject for the questions your student is posing
-- especially if the course was presented with specific perspectives on
either Mulvey or Straw Dogs.

I would need to see more, and know more, to judge that this particular
student could not have written the piece.

Seth Johnson