SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Denise Bryson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 1994 16:14:13 CDT
>What we have been talking about in this thread is the development of film
>syntax, grammar, form and content, not simply "random views". I would look
>forward to some real information which could challenge my understanding of
>film development as I have expressed it here. I don't believe I have any
>cultural motivation in citing the facts I have. But I am always open to
> relevant new information.
>Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC

*HEAVY SARCASM ALERT*
Those easily offended by parodies of politically correct stances, do
not read any further|

<insert appropriatele superior eye-roll>

Oh, GENE|  Don't you know that ALL US citizens are inherently culturally
motivated?  That we're ALL ethnocentric, patriarchal, racist pigs? Don't
you know that the East is INHERENTLY better than the West?  That our own
culture (miserable crumb that it is) isn't really worth studying?
Even if you THINK you're not culturally motivated, you ARE|  And your
continued belief that film as a narrative art was developed mainly in
the West PROVES how racist/sexist/patriarchal/ethnocentric you ARE|

<insert superior sniff>

I find it disturbing that a professional like you doesn't agree with
me.  I'm afraid it doesn't bode well for your stage of enlightenment.

<turns away and refuses to discuss anything more with an ethnocentric
pig>

*We now return you to our regularly scheduled academic discussion*

º Denise M. Bryson, Northeast Missouri State University            º
º Division of Language and Literature                              º
º Kirksville, Missouri  63501                                      º
º                                                                  º
º [log in to unmask]                       º
º                                                                  º
º "Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."  Westley, aka The Man    º
º                                          in Black                º