SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 5

From:
MS LAURA C ENGLISH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 14:30:48 EST
I am doing an essay on this movie for a class on film adaptations.
Was casting Geena Davis as Muriel a good choice and was she effective
in the part?  I have a bit of trouble with some of Anne Tyler's stuff,
 and this is my least favorite movie adaptation of a novel - so far.
(If they had just gone for grief therapy, they might have avoided a
lot of problems.)  Some of the writing is very good, especially the
scene in the book where Macon is giving orders to the market on where
to deliver the food and realizes that he must be having a breakdown.
And how about that dog?  Any thoughts on how the movie migh have
succeeded in areas where the novel is flat, and vice-versa?