SCREEN-L Archives

September 1998, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 14:42:44 -0500
Dear Listserv Owner,
FILM AND FILM STUDIES LIST

I wanted to notify you and the list of a new book, QUENTIN TARANTINO:
INTERVIEWS. In the future, if it's no trouble to you, I would like to
post you news of other books in the Conversations with Filmmakers
series. This year we will also publish Martin Scorsese, Jane Campion,
and Jean Luc-Godard. Do please drop me an email and let me know the most
convenient way to get word to you. Thanks for considering the release
I've appended below.

Cordially,
Steven B. Yates
Promotions Manager
University Press of Mississippi

QUENTIN TARANTINO: INTERVIEWS
Edited by Gerald Peary
August 1998, University Press of Mississippi
$45.00, cloth, ISBN 1-57806-050-8
$18.00, paper, ISBN 1-57806-051-6

Book News for Immediate Release

First book of interviews crackles with Tarantino's bravado and verve

 "I have no more problem with violence in movies than I do with dance or
subtitles or slapstick," Quentin Tarantino says in QUENTIN TARANTINO:
INTERVIEWS  (University Press of Mississippi, $45 cloth, $17 paper). "My
mother doesn't like slapstick--that doesn't make her a jerk."

 Not since Martin Scorsese with "Mean Streets" in the mid-1970s has a
young American filmmaker made such an instant impact on international
cinema as Tarantino. This collection is the first book of Tarantino
interviews to be published.  In twenty-two conversations, press
conferences, and formal interviews, in Tarantino's forthright, sometimes
unstoppable banter, the force behind his impact is everywhere in
evidence.

 His words show him to be uninhibited, far-reaching, and revealing. They
demonstrate conclusively that the source of the inimitable dialogue in
his films is his own brash, vivid, conversation.

 Selected by editor Gerald Peary, these interviews come from newspapers
and magazines as different as the LOS ANGELES TIMES, ROLLING STONE,
DETAILS and FILM COMMENT, from press conferences at film festivals and
premiers, and from never-before-published interviews with film scholars.
They cover the critical and popular arc of Tarantino's career to date.

 In many ways, his rise is the ideal of the 1990s success story: He has
moved from high-school dropout, toiling anonymously in a California
video store and taking acting lessons, to world acclaim, with "Pulp
Fiction" as the Grand Prix winner at Cannes.
 For filmmakers even younger than he, Tarantino's first film, "Reservoir
Dogs," released when he was twenty-nine, became an inspiration on how to
produce stylish, subterranean cinema. However, such imitators, labeled
"Tarantino school," could not match the wit of his scripts, his talent
with actors, and the vivacity, energy, and originality of his shooting
style.
 Now famous, Tarantino remains the same manic talker who is obsessed
with American pop culture and is endlessly enthusiastic about his
favorite movies and moviemakers.  Informal, gregarious, accessible, and
wonderfully expressive in an almost stream-of-consciousness chatter, he
has been an interviewer's dream.
 Gerald Peary is a film critic and columnist for the BOSTON PHOENIX, a
professor of journalism and communications at Suffolk University, and a
lecturer at Boston University.  He is also the Acting Director of the
Harvard University Film Archive.

# # #

For more information contact Promotions Manager, University Press of
Mississippi, (601) 982-6459 or
email [log in to unmask]; www.upress.state.ms.us.

--- End Forwarded Message ---