SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 5

From:
Susan Denker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 1995 10:59:54 CDT
 Dear Kristine,
 I made my remarks in the context of an assumption that all college
libraries were equipped to support research on Duras. I do not wish my
comment to be construed as a criticism of my teaching institution's
library or its librarian.
 You state that you spend $15,000 per year on books and journals relating
to film studies. Our librarian must accomodate the needs of 80 faculty
teaching all fields of art, video, film and the histories of these media
on a buying budget that is less than a third of yours. She does as well
as she can. Art books are terribly expensive. Journal subscriptions are
terribly expensive for institutions. We do have additional funds for
purchasing slides, videos, laserdiscs.
 I can assure you that a protest on the part of the faculty would not be
viewed favorably. Instead, costs of books, videos, etc needed per course
are attributed to the course, and if the course requires too many
expenditures, it is not approved. This cost analysis basis as part of the
consideration for curriculum is increasingly popular in the new
business orientation to the management of educational institutions. If it
has not yet struck your institution, just be grateful.
 As for *money out there*. If there are grants for such purchases for
little schools such as mine that are tuition-driven, I'd be grateful to
hear of them.
 Sincerely,
 Susan Denker