SCREEN-L Archives

April 2006, Week 2

From:
James Steffen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:39:32 -0400
Dear Scott:

Flicker Alley, a small but very good DVD manufacturer, is planning to
release a restored version of Murnau's PHANTOM (1922) in the near
future. Here's the URL:

http://www.flickeralley.com/fa_phantom_01.html

Sinister Cinema (www.sinistercinema.com) used to sell a VHS version of
SCHLOSS VOGELOED (1921), but I can't seem to find it in their catalog
anymore. You may be able to request it via interlibrary loan, but I
can't vouch for the quality. As far as I know, it has never been
released on DVD.

Lastly, you may be insterested to hear that in June Eureka's "Masters
of Cinema" line (http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/) is scheduled to
release a new DVD of the domestic German release version of FAUST,
which is different from the print that Kino released here and Eureka
released previously on DVD in the UK. I suspect the transfer will also
look better than Kino's.

Best,
James Steffen

--