SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 2

From:
Mark Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 1996 21:20:15 -0800
>BTW, I wonder if anyone has thoughts on the process of seeing a movie without
>preconceptions or, vice versa, the extent to which buzz and criticism have
>created their own realities.

I think one of the most wonderful things about video is that a video can
sit on the shelf for a couple years and then you have totally forgotten the
hype or the marketing campaign and with the exception of the box cover, you
are not overly prejudiced about the film.  Sometimes the box cover doesn't
even matter.  I picked up Dead Calm by mistake --I didn't want to see it
initially because of the pedestrian art direction on the cover.  However, I
discovered it to be the closest work to the suspense of a hitchcock film
that I've ever seen.  (The closest work to a hitchcock film would be Blue
Velvet probably, but not necessarily stylistically.)

A film I would like to hear people's opinions of was a film destroyed by
Disney which was known by the critics and then panned resultantly.
However, when I saw the film, I was amazed at the depth of the screenplay
and saddened that it was portrayed so sterile.  The film was the John
Boorman film called "Where the Heart is" about the children who are kicked
out of their rich house starring Uma Thurman, Crispin Glover, and Dabney
Coleman.  I watched it once and thought it was terrible until I noticed a
glimmer of the original intention and it dawned on me and I immediately
watched the whole thing again.  Has anyone else had this realization about
this film?

Sincerely,

Mark Allen
Xantherboy