SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 4

From:
Bryan Slagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:06:44 -0700
At 08:14 AM 7/24/97 PDT, you wrote:
>I am researching the question:
>How can we limit the amount of sex and violence on TV? I would like list
>members to respond to some of my questions and comments ..

I'll drop in my $.02 =)

>How do you define violence? Is violence such as a punch to the face more
>objectionable than someone causing bleeding to someone else? Is a punch
>in the face considered violence?

Violence? Well, anything that causes harm to come to another individual out
of retaliation would  be considered violent activity... It is also logical
to include such activity as bombing, vandalizing, murder, and things of that
nature which you would consider harmful.

>Do you think using the V-chip will give movie directors in Hollywood a
>convenient excuse for even more violent programs and more sex scenes on
>TV?

Actually, this could be looked at from the other side of the fence... With a
S/L/V/D rating, their program ismore likely to be blocked, and would cause
advertisers to frown on them, thus causinga stigma which /could/ discourgage
the production ofsuch material onto the small screen... BUT, looking at the
MPAA ratings and how  theyrelate to the  movies beingshown in the
theatres/video stores, I'd seriously doubt it. Basically, it's only
affecting broadcast television. There are quite a bit of factors which play
in making anassumption on this... so a forecast concerning this question is
quite ambiguous at this time.

>What do you think of the V-chip versus the program editor which blanks
>out pre-selected programs?

Well, if implememted properly, either can be an asset to most households.

>Do you believe the program editor would be better than the V-chip?

I think they  both have potential capabilities, but nothing takes the place
of the good old fashioned "Family Bond"!

>Could children somehow deprogram the program editor as some people claim
>the children can do to the V-chip?

Aaahh... the V-Chip anarchy clubs... This is a possibility as with
anything... As well, you also might consider that one kid on the block with
an un-screened set gives access to the other kids on the block ;)

>Will the V-chip cause more bland shows to be aired on TV or will it not
>change program content?

Bland? Definition please? There are many un-cautionary programs on the
air... Does one need violent, etc. activity on the screen in  front of them
to enrich their lives (outside of a cheap thrill?) I suppose not, but being
that this is a free country, Isuppose this type  of content will still be
made available, just with appropriate restrictions as are movies in the
theatres ;)

>Do you agree or disagree with this quotation from Rep. Bliley? "The
>government should leave the issue to parents and advocacy groups to turn
>off their TV sets or pressure advertisers not to sponsor objectionable
>programs."

Ahhh, but what about working parent*s* who will be there to turn it off?
Can't have our cake, and eat it too, now can we?

>Should we trust the networks to rate TV shows accurately?

Well, if you need to rely on another entity to make the decisions, then,
yes. Face it, they already are! Maybejust more acceptable, considering they
are already determining what you see on the tube in the first place.

>Do you think TV networks may over rate or even under rate the programs?

They know their content better than someone who has never seen it. (They
screen it first)... Or, parents can tape the shows and screen them one by
one... (Which, I might add,  has been a possibility for years now...) If it
isn't worth this trouble you might ask yourselves these questions: A: Is
Television so all fired important its worth the trouble (steep), B: Is
violent content worth the trouble to air if  it's such a thorn-in-the-flesh
to society. And for the parents who don't care, theycanjust simply leave the
chip inactive.

>Should parents watch at least one show with their children to see how
>violent it is? After watching the program discuss the violence they  saw
>and try to explain that most of TV violence can be or is fake?

(See above)... This is generally the best  method, but with the working
parents, who is there to explain anything? (This is why the V-Chip method
exists in the first place...)

--
Bryan Slagle
http://transporter.com/bryan/

                      -=  Punky Brewster... 'nuff said =-
-= You're about to witness the strength of street knowledge =-
                             -= Cold kickin' ---ow! =-
          -= Pull up a chair, and I'mma tear ---ish up! =-

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite