SCREEN-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 16:41:57 +0800
on 5/21/02 2:31 AM, "Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>" wrote:

> 'rgb' writes:
>
>> It's [MaxiVision] based on 35mm. It basically *is* 35mm but instead of the
>> analog soundtrack taking up space, it's given up for additional picture
>> area. Plus, it rolls along at 48 frames per second.
>
> Assuming this is 4-perf pulldown (i.e. each frame occupies the vertical
> area between four columns of perforations) then any lab that can handle
> 35mm full-gate silent should be able to deal with it.  I've often thought
> that you could bring back the full-gate ratio as combined digital formats
> now enable sound data or a timecode to be placed between the perforations
> or outside them (e.g. with Dolby digital and SDDS).  But why 48fps?  Unless
> there is something seriously weird about the shutter design of a MaxiVision
> projector, I can't see how this would improve picture quality.  If anything
> I'd bring back three-blade shutters and shooting at 16fps - the perceived
> motion quality is just as good as 24 (in fact, the only reason why 24 was
> eventually standardised was because early optical analogue sound systems
> needed 1.5 feet of film per second in order to hold a reasonable signal),
> and you'd be saving a third of your bill for film stock, not to mention the
> environment.

I think the simplest way to describe the format is a 3-perf pulldown, full
gate with near zero waste. It's 48 fps for better detail in motion. It's why
even if 16fps proves similar to 24 in perceived motion quality, it isn't
good enough because 24 already has it's problems. Underwater, there's a
whole shedload of textures that get lost the second the camera moves that I
wanted preserved.

I've actually simulated the effect by creating a simple 24, 30 and 48 fps
version of an animation. The difference was pretty impressive. They showed a
demo for it and it's basically a cinematographer's wet dream.

> But if it is 4-perf and 48fps, remember to double footage to running time
> ratios when calculating costs, i.e. 3 feet per second and 180 feet per minute.

With the 3-perf format and zero waste, it only adds up 50% more.

>> Know anybody in the US who can do this? Any contacts there?
>
> No, sorry.  I'd try Kodak's website for lab links or just put 'motion
> picture laboratory' into a search engine as a starting point.

Anybody here from Oz? It's a lot closer to me here, but I'd really prefer a
lab in the US since they'd be closer to Maxi for tech support if things fark
up.

> Leo
>
> Dr. Leo Enticknap

Jamo