SCREEN-L Archives

March 1992

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1992 18:13:17 EST
Comments:
After posting this to HISTORY it occurred to me that SCREEN-L readers might
also be interested.
While rummaging my files, I ran across a catalog INTERNATIONAL HISTORIC FILMS
on videocassette, copyright 1986 that might be of interest.

The catalog includes a range of documentary films from United States, German,
British, and Soviet sources.  The films seem to be authentic information and
propaganda films.  In the way of these things, the films are likely in public
domain and could be used for any purpose.  (Before you do anything serious,
check this last observation; it is just an informed opinion, not authoritative)

There are also some Yiddish / Polish films; some Japanese, etc.

One gem is a sub-titled version of TRIUMPH OF THE WILL that is 115 minutes
long; this is just five minutes short of the original release.  The sub-titles
change the perspective on the film.  Without titles it is a rouser, what with
all that great march music.  Translated, it is possible to understand the
relevance of the film in the 1934 German political context.  The Rally took
place less than three months after "the night of the long knives."  Many of the
internal political issues surrounding that event resonate through the film;
the sub-titles make it possible for non-German speakers to understand them.

The prices are relatively modest from $22.95 to $149.95.  I could not locate
any films at the top of the scale; the top figure is closer to $60 and many
much cheaper.  Further, they are available in various cassette formats:
Beta, VHS, and the PAL system standard in Europe.

I don't know if they are still in business but here's the address:

INTERNATIONAL HISTORIC FILMS INC.
BOX 29035
CHICAGO, IL 60629
(312) 927-2900

Cal Pryluck                               <PRYLUCK@TEMPLEVM>
Dept of Radio-Television-Film             <[log in to unmask]>
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA 19122