SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Ed Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:49:29 -0500
On 3/9/01 4:21 PM, "Daniel I Humphrey" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> While it's important to introduce students to "the classics" in a film
> *history* class, in a intro to film class different issues are often at
> center stage.  For my money, it's much more effective to use a James
> Cameron film as an example of a long take than "Magnificent Ambersons", at
> least to a group of restless freshmen....

Similar methods are being used in other disciplines (i.e., the use of more
contemporary literature in an English 102 class), but my question would be
where to draw the line.  While using contemporary films certainly makes the
Intro to Film class more relevant to the student in question, I wonder if
perhaps we're not doing the student a great disservice by not exposing them
to films they otherwise wouldn't see.  I think the truly successful Intro is
going to find a way to blend the two approaches.

Ed

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite