SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
Mary Jane Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1993 09:52:23 -0400
Reply to Mark re video editing:

I am Mary Jane Miller's husband, a chemist and also Chair of Brock's
Computer Science Department.

If you are serious about video editing, don't even try it with a 286.  You
should have lots of memory and lots of disk space. You also need
appropriate hardware as well as software to do anything but the most
trivial. I.e. the VCR must be compatible with the computer system as well,
video IO boards are used etc. The investment in a proper system is such
that upgrading your 286 to a modern 486 is cheap in comparison. The good
stuff all runs on either Windows based PCs, Macs or Unix boxes. These days
3-4 mb of memory is minimal memory -- 10-20 mb is more realistic for
software that is a memory hog. Disk drives are typically 120-300 mb or
more.

Jack Martin Miller.
Mary Jane Miller

Mary Jane Miller
Dept. of Film Studies, Dramatic and Visual Arts
Brock University
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.
L2S 3A1

Phone (416) 688 5550, ext 3584,  FAX (416) 682 9020, e-mail