SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Scott Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 17:23:06 -0500
> eyes).  Luke Skywalker loses a hand but gets a new one in the next scene
> and the subject is never mentioned again.  (When the "hero" of Evil Dead 2
> loses his, he replaces it with a chainsaw.)  Robocop and the Six Million

When Luke loses a hand, it is replaced by a cybernetic prosthesis.
Bottled-up feelings about this are revealed when he flies to Dagobah in
_Return of the Jedi_, examining his hand with obvious psychological
discomfort.  I think he puts some wires back in, too, but I don't remember
for sure.  Ash cuts off his hand with the chainsaw in _Evil Dead II_, and
he goes without it for most of the picture.  In _Army of Darkness_, Raimi
shows us the cloth-covered stump before showing the face of the hero.
He is clearly disturbed by the loss of his hand, and he constructs a
mechanical one out of a gauntlet, replacing the chainsaw.  It deals about
as much with it as an uproarious comedy can without changing the mood.  Of
course, his new hand can crush a goblet, so he couldn't be too upset.

Scott

University of Alabama.