SCREEN-L Archives

March 1992

Sender:
From:
Carol Slingo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1992 14:56:02 CST
Back to small town theaters--about 10 years ago I did some research in Moving
 Picture World
and incidentally copied down some of the names of Illinois theaters mentioned in
 1917 (a few
from 1916).  I just found this list, and I pass it on to anyone who is
 interested.

Abingdon, Bijou ("now bowling alley"--resident in 83)
Alton, Princess
Anna, Main
Astoria, Princess
Basco, Clark Hall
Belleville, Washington (W. Main), Washington Annex (W. Second)
Belvedere, (opera house burned 1917)
Benton, Auditorium, Mars
Blue Island, Browntown, (theater) 348 Western Ave.
Bushnell, Cozy
Cairo, Bijou, Gem (16)
Cambridge, (theater)
Canton, Gem (S. Main near Pine)
Carlinville, Opera House
Carrollton, Royal
Chenoa, Rex
Chillicothe, Court
Colfax, Opera House
Collinsville, opera house
Cooksville, (theater)
Creal Springs, (theater) in Brion Building
Danville, Fischer, Palace
Davis, U-No
Decatur, Avon
Decatur, Oakland, (theater) W. Main St. and Oakland
East Moline, Majestic (16), Lyric (16)
East St. Louis, Columbia, American, Majestic
El Paso, Grand, also outdoor
Eldorado, Show
Elmwood, Palace
Evanston, Triangle
Fairfield, Rex
Fairview, (theater)
Farmington, Princess, Opera House, Strand (may be same)
Forest City, Folly
Galena, Dreamland
Galesburg, Auditorium (sold in 17, couldn't make money), Elite, Orpheum
Galva, West
Georgetown, Union, Princess
Havana, Lawford
Highland Park, Pearl
Homer, (theater) at Homer Park
Hudson, (town hall)
Joliet, Orpheum
Kewaunee, Majestic, Willard, Dreamland, 1 more
LaSalle, Majestic, Werner
Lawrenceville, Phoenix, on 12th St.
Leland, (theater)
Lincoln, Star
Little York, Opera House
Monmouth, Alamo (probably)
Monticello, Globe, Princess
Morris, Roy
Mt. Pulaski, Dreamland
Murphysboro, Tilford/Liberty
New Berlin, (theater burned down 17)
Newton, Star
North Chicago, Auditorium
O'Fallon, Taylor Opera House
Oregon, Star
Paris, Joy
Paxton, Majestic, Crystal
Pekin, Capitol
Peoria, Gem, 3119 S. Adams
Petersburg, Elite
Prophetstown, (theater)
Quincy, Princess
Ransom, (theater)
Robinson, Strand, Grand
Rock Island, (theater) 2430 Fifth Avenue
Roseville, Isis
Salem, Princess
Sesser, (theater)
Shawneetown, Grand
Spring Valley, Majestic
Springfield (theater) 11th and Cook
Stonington, Gem
Streator, Majestic
Taylorville, Empress, Grand
Tolano, Dime
Victoria, Citizens League for Better Films
Villa Grove, Star
Waukegan, Schwartz (in a hotel)

--Carol Slingo