SCREEN-L Archives

August 1997, Week 4

From:
David Ezell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 07:13:01 -0400
>The recently released "Conspiracy Theory" was preceeded by a novel based
>on the film, which if not a first, is at least a recent development.
>Previously, the novel based on the film followed it.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but film to novel adaptations have been
common since the 1970s.  Almost any major Hollywood release that was based
on an original screenplay has been "novelized." I can remeber many times
seeing a book I thought would be good and seeing "adapted from the
screenplay by ______" on the cover or liner notes.  I would then put the
book down and keep on shopping.

Now that I write this, I remember an article that appeared in the early
years of PREMIERE magazine on this issue.  Sorry to be so vague, but I have
not thought of this issue in some time.

David Ezell

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite